7.11.2006

lost and loving it

I've searched blogs for the word "hunza" and also for the phrase "batura glacier". Neither search reveals much. Since a number of countries now have Pakistan on their "not advised to travel" list it's even less likely that travelers will seek out this remote valley.

I did, however, find this pair of world travelers, American's who found their trip to the Northern Areas a challenge to Western medias' portrayals of Pakistan. Here's a sample of a picture (of a view from the town of Gulmit along the Karakorum Highway (KKH) on their flickr site.
I've also come across this website. It's a journal of a British couple on a marathon trip through central and south Asia. I found it when searching for the phrase "Batura Glacier".

Northern Pakistan certainly seems lost on the Western world apart from the elite climbers who make their way there to attempt one the 5 8000m peaks in the area. It's rugged and relatively inaccessible and likely daunting to many perspective Western travelers, if they even hear about it in the first place. And personally, I like it that way and I count myself prevailed to be able to return there this fall.