9.01.2006

Rissotto and Smoked Salmon


I just checked my blog stats and noticed quite a few new hits in recent days. Thanks for your interest. Thanks Rachel for your referral. I'll see what I can do to live up to your claims about my blog.

________________

Days 4 and 5
Helsinki, Finland

Those of you who know me and read my blog, know that food is one of my favourite things. And so far, food experiences have been notable here in Helsinki. On Wednesday, I met my friend in the city centre and we stopped in one of his wife's favourite cafes on the street Pohjoisesplanaol. I'm on a wheat free diet so I had to pass up the tantalizing sandwiches. Instead I ordered a bowl of salmon soup on my friend's recommendation (although this cafe serves only the second best salmon soup in the city). I enjoy salmon, but I live in the middle of a large continent, hundreds of kilometers away from the sea, so good, fresh salmon is an expensive rarity, a foreign food. The soup was nearly perfect. It was fresh and hot, light and creamy, thin, with dill and black peppercorns and something sweet underneath, maybe cinnamon. Pink chunks of flaky salmon and pieces of new potato bursting with flavour floated in the broth. I've rarely enjoyed soup so much.

The next day, my friend, his wife and new baby lunched at a small French cafe in an area of the city called Ullanlinna (or Ulrikasborg, in Swedish). The cafe is perfect. Such establishments don't, to my knowledge, exist in Winnipeg. Lunch consists of a hot dish and a choice of eight tantalizing salads. Again, I had to pass on the two fine looking pasta options. I chose the Wild Forest Rissotto and a salad of mixed greens, sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese topped with red pepper dressing. The rissotto was excellent, well done and accented with oyster mushrooms (or a near relative).

Yesterday evening homemade pizza toppings included smoked, pepper-crusted salmon fillet with sauted mushrooms and shallots.

So much for food. It's a fleeting thing.

No comments: